Thursday, March 5, 2009

Such a treat


It was 1:00 in the afternoon and I was thinking about putting my daughter to bed for a nap, but she does better if she goes down closer to 2:00. What to do for an hour?? Palease, doesn't making some homemade chocolate chip cookies seem like the obvious answer to that question. I will brag a little and say I'm slightly famous for these creations that look more like biscuits than cookies and are super delicious. So I pose the idea to my 2 year old who begins hopping around clapping and saying yes, yes, yes, and then stops dead in her tracks and looks me in the eyes very seriously and says "I love cookies mama." I know you do sweetheart.

We measure and we taste and we stir, or rather crank the mixer on high and let it stir for us. Seriously, if you don't have one of the kitchen aid mixers get one, they rock! We watch the butter sugar and flour transform and our fingers and lips begin to tingle with the anticipation of just one lick of that dough.

Literally everytime I make a batch of cookies I am taken back to the excited feeling I would get as a child when I knew my mom was in the kitchen making a batch. I can remember the smell of them cooking, I can remember burning my tongue trying to pop one in my mouth right out of the oven, but most of all I remember licking the cookie dough covered spoon.

While I was caught up in this fantastic sugary nostalgia today, I realized that right then, I was passing along the same splendid memory to my daugher. I love it that someday she will be with college friends, or a boyfriend, or husband or better yet standing in the kitchen covered in flour next to her little chocolate lipped baby passing along the goodness and thinking of me too. How sweet it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment