Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Re-diagnosed

August 23rd we saw a new naturopath in Mesa, Dr Jeffrey Potts. We did extensive applied kinesiology testing to determine any food allergies that might be acting as irritants in Cadences system. The list that came back was daunting. How do I tell my baby who already is not really supposed to eat cake ice cream cookies etc that her turkey and cheese sandwiches on WHOLE WHEAT bread are out. Oh and grapes too sweetie.

I left the office in a mixed up fog. Excited at the possibilties to help my daughters body heal itself, possibly needing less insulin or no insulin in the future. Just helping the blood sugar swings would be a god send. But facing the reality of the work ahead was daunting. Not to mention the social implications.

Our society eats like shit! Really most people can't read food labels and even if they can the label doesn't really give us a whole picture. We want easy and quick. Guess what that's not food. But we think it is, and we are poisoning our children with these pseudofoods and making them close minded and addicted.

The range of emotions was broad. But my saving grace came midway through day one of cutting out the culprits. Cadences blood sugar never tested above 130. Just having consistent numbers between 80 and 130 for one day made me feel like this was the right thing.

One day of peace for my daughters body, just one day is so worth it.

Today it was more of the same only I had to pump her full of food all day to keep her from facing hypoglycemia. I basically had to test her every hour. Poor little fingers and poor little belly stuffed full of apples and juice and peaches but honestly these numbers are like a miracle.

In response to today I am doubling her carb ratio (morning from 10 to 20 and lunch/dinner from 15 to 30). Doubling may seem drastic but I will post her food intake for today to show the amount of carbs she ate just to cover one unit of insulin.

I am going to bed grateful tonight and hopeful and diligent. I am eating exactly what Cadence eats at her meals practicing solidarity. I want nothing more than a cure for my sweet sweet girl and as much as I want that I painfully admit that I don't think anyone is really trying to cure this disease medically. There is just too much money to be made by not curing it. Walk into any pharmacy and look behind the counter and you are sure to see a wall of diabetes supplies. So we embark on our own journey in healing and delight in every small miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment